• Navigation icon for News

    News

    • US Food
    • UK Food
    • Drinks
    • Celebrity
    • Restaurants and bars
    • TV and Film
    • Social Media
  • Navigation icon for Cooking

    Cooking

    • Recipes
    • Air fryer
  • Navigation icon for Health

    Health

    • Diet
    • Vegan
  • Navigation icon for Fast Food

    Fast Food

    • McDonalds
    • Starbucks
    • Burger King
    • Subway
    • Dominos
  • Facebook
    Instagram
    YouTube
    TikTok
    X
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
TikTok
X
Submit Your Content
McDonald’s CEO responds after viral Big Arch video sparks backlash
Home>Fast food>McDonalds
Updated 14:49 9 Apr 2026 GMT+1Published 14:47 9 Apr 2026 GMT+1

McDonald’s CEO responds after viral Big Arch video sparks backlash

McDonald’s CEO Chris Kempczinski has addressed the viral Big Arch promo that sparked mockery, rival jabs, and a major social media pile-on.

Ben Williams

Ben Williams

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Instagram/chrisk_mcd

Topics: McDonalds , Burger King, Fast Food, Social Media

Ben Williams
Ben Williams

Advert

Advert

Advert

McDonald’s was trying to show off the Big Arch, but the internet had other ideas, and now CEO Chris Kempczinski has addressed his big viral moment.

Previously, a promotional clip featuring Kempczinski taking on the chain’s chunky new Big Arch burger quickly went the wrong kind of viral, with viewers zeroing in on what many thought was an almost comically small first bite.

The fact that the McDonald’s boss also called the burger a ‘product’ more than once did not help, and the comments filled up fast with people joking that he looked less like a man enjoying lunch and more like somebody reluctantly completing a task set by head office.

That would already have been enough to keep social media busy, but the clip then got the extra boost that always guarantees a story sticks around for longer. Rival fast food brands joined in, with Burger King and KFC among those reported to have posted their own digs, helping turn a slightly awkward promo into a full-blown bit of burger mockery online.

Advert

The McDonald’s boss says social media now demands a thick skin (Instagram/chrisk_mcd)
The McDonald’s boss says social media now demands a thick skin (Instagram/chrisk_mcd)

Kempczinski has now addressed the backlash and said he first realised just how far the video had travelled after getting a warning from home. Speaking to The Wall Street Journal, with a clip from the interview shared on X (formerly Twitter), he said: “I got a call from one of my kids, and they said, ‘Dad, you've gone viral and not in a good way’. So that's when I knew like, 'Ok, something's going on’”

Kempczinski added he started getting texts, calls, and emails asking whether he had seen the video doing the rounds.

Still, the fast food CEO did not sound especially rattled by it, and was at least happy that the video made people aware of the product as intended, even if that came at a cost. He said: “For me, it's one of those things where it's great that people are talking about the Big Arch, and I think when you go onto social media in general, you have to have a thick skin.”

After his burger taste test went viral, McDonald’s CEO Chris Kempczinski spoke with WSJ about the backlash.

Here's how Kempczinski approaches social media and why he’s willing to eat on camera again: 🔗 https://t.co/SpFWr8GlvC pic.twitter.com/giZ2ApABq7

— The Wall Street Journal (@WSJ) April 6, 2026

Kempczinski also seemed fairly clear-eyed about why these moments now play out the way they do. As noted by The Tribunal, he said: “We're in a world now where this creator economy and how consumers are engaging with brands, it's a lot more dynamic,” before adding: “This notion that you can control everything, that's not the world that we're in. I think there's a cynicism and a skepticism that goes around advertising…The consumers are actually just as much in control of our brand as we are.”

He even found room to joke about the bite itself, which had some of the criticisms implying he didn’t actually eat meat, saying: “I'm definitely not a vegetarian. I blame it all on my mom, you know, she taught me, 'Don't talk with your mouth full.' I think probably in this case, I should have probably just said, ‘to hell with it, I'm gonna talk with my mouth full.’”

Choose your content:

2 days ago
5 days ago
6 days ago
  • Kiyoshi Ota/Bloomberg via Getty Images
    2 days ago

    McDonald's launches wave of new deals including free McNuggets

    The deals are available now - but won't be around for long

    Fast food
  • Starbucks
    5 days ago

    Starbucks drops new Miffy range packed with 'multigenerational retro charm'

    Some exclusive items are only available online, and not in your local coffeehouse

    Fast food
  • Five Guys
    6 days ago

    Five Guys launches new rewards scheme where you get free fries just for signing up

    Fast food fans could unlock more perks on future visits

    Fast food
  • KFC
    6 days ago

    Cult classic KFC burger returns as new menu drops today

    The latest limited-time drop replaces KFC’s fiery Daredevil range

    Fast food
  • Wendy's becomes next brand to troll McDonald's over CEO's incredibly awkward taste test
  • Viral Burger King worker shares next steps after being fired
  • McDonald's CEO roasted over awkward video of him trying his own 'product'
  • Burger King speaks out after employee who went viral for working entirely alone gets fired